Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Golden Question - Tripods?

So for a while now I've been reading on RedUser.net the ongoing battle to find an appropriate entry level tripod that will be able to be used with the Red One. Now I don't mean entry level as in "my first tripod", but rather entry level to the tripods that can manage the weight of the Red One. The camp for this discussion is split into two very distinct groups, those without money and those with. The groups with money typically are the ones who are professional cinematographers and who understand the value of a tripod that you buy once and use forever. The group without money is your indie set who are coming from the HVX world and trying to get their hands on the Red One for as little as they possibly can.

The ranges for usable tripods for the Red One range from a $1700 setup from Manfrotto to a $12,000 O'Connor setup and more. On the boards people suggest using the Manfrotto 526, the Miller Arrow 55, the O'Connor 1030 (all of which get more expensive as they are listed). The 526 supports 35lbs., the Miller 55 supports 50 lbs and the 1030 can support upwards to 40lbs. Now with the extra support in the weight capacity of the tripod, one gets better (smoother) panning and tilting.


Manfrotto 526



For myself, I'm in the resource constrained indie filmmaker set, and I use the Manfrotto 526, which I got used with a bag and a pair of legs for less than the cost of the head would be new. I have yet been able to use it in conjunction with a Red One, but for just a "stand up" tripod, I don't see why it would give me any issues. With the ability to handle 35lbs, I am constrained on what I can use on the rig, but with the ability to possibly offload a couple elements like batteries and drives, the 526 should be able to handle the load of a lightweight Red One rig.

When I do get around to testing it, I'll probably be using the Red One, production pack, battery, RAID drive, Nikon lenses, Red Rock Follow Focus and Mattebox. One thing that I will avoid doing is tilting and panning, and I wouldn't leave the rig unattended.

No comments: